With Florida’s sunny weather, biking is common in Boca Raton. It is also one of the most dangerous places to be a bicycle rider. Bicyclists are more vulnerable on the road, due to their minimal protection compared to cars and trucks.
While are many laws and safety guidelines in place to avoid bike accidents, many of them are routinely ignored. If you have been injured in a bike accident, you may need an experienced Boca Raton bike accident lawyer to advocate for you. Brian L. Elstein, a qualified personal injury lawyer, can assist you with your claim and get you the compensation you are possibly entitled to.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents in Florida?
There are many dangerous behaviors that drivers engage in that lead to bicycle accidents. A vast majority of said accidents are preventable, yet they still occur. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver failing to yield,
- Distracted driving,
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
- Inclement weather.
There are times when the person operating the bike may be at least partially at fault for the accident. Since Florida is a “no-fault” state, you may still potentially recover damages in a personal injury case. Determining how much compensation you may be able to recover is quite complex.
Some factors that could make a bicyclist partly at fault for an accident include:
- Failure to stop at a traffic light or stop sign;
- Riding a bike while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Darting out in front of motorists;
- Not following the right-of-way;
- Failure to obey traffic signs;
- Changing lanes without using hand signals;
- Biking on the wrong side of the road.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists
There are many things a bicyclist can do to keep themselves safe while riding. Being aware of safety precautions can make a huge difference in preventing an accident. Some things to keep in mind:
- Avoid biking on the road during dawn and dusk, if possible. The sun rising and falling during these times makes it harder for drivers to see, due to glare.
- Wear light-colored clothing and reflectors to increase your visibility to car and truck drivers.
- Keep up with the maintenance of your bike, and do regular inspections to make sure it is in good working shape. This could prevent your bicycle from breaking down in a dangerous spot, creating an accident.
- Wear a helmet and possibly other protective gear to minimize injuries, especially when you are biking in a more dangerous area.
Why Choose Elstein Legal to Represent your Case?
Since opening Elstein Legal in 2018, Miami personal injury attorney Brian L. Elstein has recovered millions on behalf of his deserving clients. A cum laude graduate of Nova Southeastern University, Brian Elstein honed his skills early as a member of the Nova Trial Association.
Today, he is recognized by The National Trial Lawyers as a Top 40 Under 40 Lawyer in Florida and has been selected to the 2022-2023 Florida Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers Magazine – a distinction given to only 2.5% of attorneys in Florida, and named 2022 Best Litigation Attorney by Expertise.com.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you have injuries due to someone else’s negligent behavior, you deserve compensation to help recover from your injuries. At Elstein Legal, we can help you with all aspects of your claim, including going to trial if necessary to ensure you get what you need.
Call us at (305) 299-2835 or contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case. There is no fee unless we win your case.