With Florida’s sunny weather, biking is common in Boca Raton. It is also one of the most dangerous places to be a bicycle rider. Bicyclists are more vulnerable on the road, due to their minimal protection compared to cars and trucks.
While are many laws and safety guidelines in place to avoid bike accidents, many of them are routinely ignored. If you have been injured in a bike accident, you may need an experienced Boca Raton bike accident lawyer to advocate for you. Brian L. Elstein, a qualified personal injury lawyer, can assist you with your claim and get you the compensation you are possibly entitled to.
What Causes Bicycle Accidents in Florida?
There are many dangerous behaviors that drivers engage in that lead to bicycle accidents. A vast majority of said accidents are preventable, yet they still occur. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver failing to yield,
- Distracted driving,
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol,
- Inclement weather.
There are times when the person operating the bike may be at least partially at fault for the accident. Since Florida is a “no-fault” state, you may still potentially recover damages in a personal injury case. Determining how much compensation you may be able to recover is quite complex.
Some factors that could make a bicyclist partly at fault for an accident include:
- Failure to stop at a traffic light or stop sign;
- Riding a bike while under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Darting out in front of motorists;
- Not following the right-of-way;
- Failure to obey traffic signs;
- Changing lanes without using hand signals;
- Biking on the wrong side of the road.
Safety Tips for Bicyclists
There are many things a bicyclist can do to keep themselves safe while riding. Being aware of safety precautions can make a huge difference in preventing an accident. Some things to keep in mind:
- Avoid biking on the road during dawn and dusk, if possible. The sun rising and falling during these times makes it harder for drivers to see, due to glare.
- Wear light-colored clothing and reflectors to increase your visibility to car and truck drivers.
- Keep up with the maintenance of your bike, and do regular inspections to make sure it is in good working shape. This could prevent your bicycle from breaking down in a dangerous spot, creating an accident.
- Wear a helmet and possibly other protective gear to minimize injuries, especially when you are biking in a more dangerous area.
Why Choose Elstein Legal?
Filing a personal injury claim as a biker can be legally complex. Insurance companies may try to offer the smallest settlement possible, or invalidate your claim. If you share any fault in the accident it can complicate your case further. Elstein Legal’s Brian L. Elstein is well-versed in Florida’s bicyclist and traffic laws and knows how to negotiate for the best possible outcome for his clients.
If you’ve been injured in a bike accident in Florida, contact Elstein Legal as soon as possible. We have the experience and skills needed to potentially assist with your case.