If you or a loved one has suffered injuries from a bicycle accident in Miami, Florida, contact attorney Brian L. Elstein. As a former insurance defense lawyer, Brian L. Elstein knows how to fight the insurance companies to get the maximum value for your claim. We will help build your case and claim financial compensation for your injuries.
Bicycle accidents are common in Miami due to the serious lack of infrastructure for bicyclists. When accidents happen, bicyclists often suffer from debilitating injuries because they don’t have the same kind of protection as a vehicle driver. If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident in Miami, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries.
At Elstein Legal, our Miami bicycle accident lawyers can help you protect your rights and build a strong claim for compensation. We’re passionate about providing aggressive legal representation to ensure bicycle accident victims in Miami receive a settlement amount that accurately reflects their losses.
Do I Need a Lawyer for a Bicycle Accident Case in Miami?
Although Miami’s stunning views, flat roads, and agreeable climate make it an ideal place for bicycling, riding a bike often comes at the price of an elevated risk for accidents. According to a study by the Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine, one-third of all cyclists’ injuries were head injuries.
The severe nature of bicycle accident injuries may require long-term medical care, leaving victims with high medical expenses and other losses. When you work with a Miami bicycle accident lawyer, they will help you take the steps required to ensure you get the compensation to recover from all of your injuries.
Common Causes of Bike Accidents in Miami
One study reports that over 500,000 visits to emergency rooms in the U.S. result from cycling injuries, with over half involving motor vehicles. Most bicycle accidents are caused by a lack of ordinary care or negligence in one form or another. Often this is on the part of the vehicle driver involved in the accident.
Like most accidents, bike accidents are caused in large part by negligence in one form or another. Most of the time, that negligence is on the part of the vehicle driver. While there are countless ways for an accident to begin, some of the most common ways include:
While there are countless ways for an accident to occur, some of the most common causes of bike accidents in Miami include:
- Speeding drivers
- Not leaving sufficient distance in the lane for the bicyclist
- Drivers failing to stop at a traffic light or stop sign
- Bicyclists that do not follow the rules of the road
- Poor visibility because of weather conditions
- Drivers who turn in front of bicyclists unintentionally
- Driving while intoxicated or under the influence of drugs
- Drivers and bikers that are distracted
- Failure to signal
- Failure to yield
- Reckless driving, including drag racing
- Improper lane change
Common Bike Accident Injuries
The likelihood of serious injuries is much higher for bicyclists in accidents, especially involving a motor vehicle. Some of the most common bicycle accident injuries include:
- Soft tissue injuries like bruises, cuts, and scrapes
- Breaks and fractures, including to the legs and pelvis
- Traumatic brain injuries, including concussions with severe results such as brain disease, confusion, headaches, and memory loss
- Spinal and skull fractures resulting in paralysis or loss of movement
- Road rash and skin injuries from contact with the road
- Mental health injuries including anxiety, flashbacks, and PTSD
Regardless of the extent of your injuries, you deserve fair financial compensation, possibly including long-term damages. At Elstein Legal, our bicycle accident lawyers can ensure your claim is complete and represents all of your long-term injuries and the suffering that goes along with them.
The Most Common Areas for Bicycle Accidents in Miami
A lack of cyclist safety infrastructure, lagging public transportation, and unsafe driving are just some of the issues that leave Miami cyclists in danger of getting seriously hurt in an accident daily. Even with bicycle initiatives from the City of Miami and other safety measures from the Miami-Dade Transportation Planning Organization, bicycle accidents are still a major concern.
Some of the most common places for Miami bicycle accidents include:
- The high-speed connector highways that connect the mainland to Miami Beach, such as the MacArthur Causeway and the Julia Tuttle Causeway
- NE 54th Street in Little Haiti can be dangerous due to the high traffic volume, especially at the intersection with Biscayne Boulevard near Morningside Park.
- The Rickenbacker Causeway and Crandon Boulevard on Key Biscayne
Miami Bicycle Accident FAQs
Yes, you can sue for someone hitting you on a bike in Miami. Florida car accident compensation laws apply for victims of bicycle accidents.
If a car hits a bicycle in Miami, you should report the accident to the police immediately. You must report any accident causing injuries or property damage over $500 to the Miami Police Department or Miami-Dade Police Department under Florida law 316.065. The party responsible for causing the accident may receive a traffic ticket. A victim may also file a claim for financial compensation by initiating a civil action.
Yes, Florida no-fault insurance required benefits may apply to a bicycle claim in Miami. A victim may look to their own personal injury protection insurance or pursue a third-party claim as appropriate under the law. Florida laws for recovery under PIP insurance apply, including 80% coverage for injuries and 60% for lost wages, as well as the requirement of seeking medical care within 14 days.
For severe injuries in a bicycle accident, your settlement may be $75,000 or more. Some claims are more than $1 million. The exact amount you can expect as a settlement in a bicycle accident case in Miami will depend on the specific facts surrounding what your injuries are, the strength of the legal claim, your financial losses, and the pain and suffering associated with your injuries.
Our bicycle accident lawyers have experience helping accident victims in Miami understand the total value of their case based on the facts and working to maximize compensation.
How our Miami Bike Accident Lawyers Can Help
Your bicycle accident and specific injuries are important, and you need a lawyer who will offer personalized legal representation that is unique to your needs. At Elstein Legal, we specialize in providing individualized and aggressive representation to hold insurance companies accountable and protect the rights of bike accident victims in Miami.
Some of the benefits of working with our accident lawyers include:
- Our team handles cases of any level of complexity or size to ensure all bike accident victims receive the highest level of representation possible.
- Brian L. Elstein has previous experience working in defense for a large law firm. We use this background to protect our clients from common insurance company tactics to reduce settlement values.
- Our founder, Brian L. Elstein, can use his degree in psychology to negotiate, approach witnesses, and effectively present your case.
- Elstein Legal is devoted exclusively to helping individuals. This experience can work in your favor, as we know the ins and outs of accident claims, including bicycle accident claims.
- Our boutique law firm is small enough for personal attention but still offers the resources to handle all aspects of your claim.
- We have recovered millions on behalf of our clients.
Why Choose Elstein Legal to Represent your Case?
Since opening Elstein Legal in 2018, Brian L. Elstein has recovered millions on behalf of his deserving clients. A cum laude graduate of Nova Southeastern University, Brian Elstein honed his skills early as a member of the Nova Trial Association.
Today, he is recognized by The National Trial Lawyers as a Top 40 Under 40 Lawyer in Florida and has been selected to the 2022 Florida Rising Stars list by Super Lawyers Magazine – a distinction given to only 2.5% of attorneys in Florida, and named 2022 Best Litigation Attorney by Expertise.com.
Contact Us for a Free Consultation
If you have injuries due to someone else’s negligent behavior, you deserve compensation to help recover from your injuries. At Elstein Legal, we can help you with all aspects of your claim, including going to trial if necessary to ensure you get what you need.
Call us at (305) 299-2835 or contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your case. There is no fee unless we win your case.