Miami is one of the most beautiful places to be a bicycle rider. Not only is the weather gorgeous most of the time, but the sun is shining and there is an abundance of scenery and fresh air to appreciate while out pedaling. But bicycling often comes at a price, and that price is the elevated risk of being involved in a bicycle accident with a vehicle. Accident rates continue to rise, even in the face of stiffer penalties and fines for traffic offenses and distracted driving.
Common Causes Of Bike Accidents In Miami
Like most accidents, bike accidents are caused in large part by negligence in one form or another. Most of the time, that negligence is on the part of the vehicle driver. While there are countless ways for an accident to begin, some of the most common ways include:
- Drivers failing to stop for a traffic control device like a traffic light or stop sign
- Bicyclists that do not adhere to traffic control
- Bicyclists who do not follow the rules of the road
- Drivers who turn in front of bicyclists unintentionally
- Driving or biking while intoxicated
- Drivers and bikers that are driving distracted
- Failure to signal, by either party
- Failure to yield, by either party
- Reckless driving, like speeding
- Improper lane change
Injuries Common In A Bike Accident In Miami
Since bike riders are much less protected than someone in a vehicle, the injuries can be much more serious. Countless injuries are possible, but generally, they will be in one of the following categories:
- Soft tissue injuries include things like abrasions, bruises, cuts, and scrapes. These can be quite painful, but often do not require any extensive medical attention or lengthy recovery times.
- Breaks and fractures are very common, and very painful. Common breaks are ribs, hips, and limbs, and they can take several weeks to months to fully heal. Sometimes specialized equipment like braces or casts will be needed to help proper healing.
- Spinal, skull, and brain injuries are often the most serious. They can permanently affect the victim’s life functions and capability to live and work as they would normally. These injuries can require extensive medical treatments, including surgeries and rehab, in order to heal fully. Some injuries in this category will be permanently disabling or disfiguring.
Why Choosing Elstein Legal Is The Best Move For Your Claim
When you are looking at the pile of medical bills and your work schedule with all your missed hours, you may not realize you have options when it comes to seeking compensation. By working with an experienced Miami bike accident law firm like Elstein Legal, you are making a smart decision that can raise your chances of optimal recovery. Not only will your attorney be your expert negotiator during the stressful settlement talks with the insurance adjuster, but they will also be your state-licensed legal representative if your case needs to go to court to litigate.