Lyft and other rideshare companies have helped to modernize transportation services. With the click of a button, you can summon a driver to your exact location at any time of the day. But the convenience of the service is not without its risks. Car accidents are unpleasant enough as it is and have the potential for serious injuries. But dealing with those injuries is even more complicated when you add a Lyft driver on duty to the mix.
Does Lyft Cover Third Party Personal Injuries in Hialeah?
A lot of customers don’t realize that Lyft doesn’t officially employ their drivers. Workers are considered independent contractors. The flexibility of being your own boss makes Lyft appealing to drivers. However, the independent contractor status absolves the company of some of the insurance responsibilities between employers and employees.Here’s what they’ll cover, according to Lyft:
- When the driver’s app is off: The driver’s personal car insurance must be used to cover any Lyft accidents that occur.
- When the driver’s app is on, but they haven’t accepted a trip:
- Up to $50,000 per person for bodily injury
- Up to $100,000 per accident for bodily injury
- When the app is on and the driver is either picking up a passenger or a ride is in progress:
- Up to $1,000,000 for 3rd-party liability
- Bodily injury for the uninsured or underinsured motorist
Despite the possibility of Lyft’s insurance covering some of your injury, the driver will likely still need to go through their insurance first. This is due to Florida’s No-Fault Law. The No-Fault Statute states that every Florida driver’s car insurance needs to include personal injury protection of at least $10,000.
Why Hire a Personal Injury Attorney in Hialeah?
Since Lyft drivers are independent contractors, Lyft is also protected from legal responsibilities. This means it can be tricky to sue the company for damages if it turns out that your injuries aren’t covered by insurance. In that case, it’s wise to have a personal injury lawyer to navigate these complex claims with you. Here’s what Elstein Legal can do:
- Seek higher compensation: When faced with personal injury claims, insurance companies will only pay out what they absolutely need to in terms of settlements. And when faced with significant medical expenses and potential loss of income, you’ll want to get as much as you can from insurance. Our personal injury law firm in Hialeah has considerable experience in negotiating with insurance companies to obtain the maximum amount of compensation for car accident victims.
- Provide valuable advice: If you’re not a legal expert, it can be very confusing and difficult to figure out the best course of action for your personal injury claim. Elstein Legal will take the guesswork out of the process for you, giving you more time to focus on recovery.
- Advocate for your best interests: Lyft and their insurance company have an aggressive legal team looking out for their interests. Having Elstein Legal working for you will level the playing field.
If you were hurt in a Lyft car accident, call Elstein Legal in Hialeah, Florida today to set up a free consultation.